Orbera Intragastric Balloon
Bariatric Endoscopy Institute offers a comprehensive 12-month Orbera program
We have developed a year-long two-part program to help you reach your weight loss goals. It begins with placement of a soft balloon for 6 months. During this time, the balloon helps with satiety (fullness) and portion control. We will guide you through development of eating habits and an exercise plan. After 6 months, the balloon is removed, and the second step begins as we guide you through maintenance of weight loss and the development of lifelong lifestyle habits. The procedure is endoscopic, not a surgery like gastric bypass, LapBand, or sleeve gastrectomy.
Proven track record: safe & effective
– Over 220,000 placed in over 80 countries, over 20 years
– 3 times the weight loss of diet and exercise alone
What to expect
– A clinical trial showed that patients lost 3 times the weight using an Orbera program, compared to patients using the diet and exercise program alone.
– Most weight is lost in the first 3 months, but the balloon stays in for 6 months so that you can learn the right portion size to maintain your new weight.
– Your new eating habits, and your efforts to keep active, will play a big role in your personal results. For one year, we will help you to reach your weight loss goals – by retraining your appetite, advising you on healthy nutrition, controlling portion size, and developing exercise routine. We will also help you to learn long-term maintenance of these habits so that you can enjoy the benefits for years to come.
– The balloon is placed into the stomach through the mouth by endoscopy (without surgery) in 20-30 minutes while you are under sedation
– It is filled with saline until it’s about the size of a grapefruit
– You can generally go home the same day
At six months, the balloon is deflated and removed endoscopically, the same way it was placed.
– You must be an adult
– Your body mass index (BMI) should be 30-40
– You must be willing to participate in a physician-supervised weight loss program
Call us at (630) 387-9362 today to find out how we can help you.
Learn more at orbera.com.
Dr. Kumar’s publications related to intragastric balloons
ASGE Bariatric Endoscopy Task Force systematic review and meta-analysis assessing the ASGE PIVI thresholds for adopting endoscopic bariatric therapies
ASGE Bariatric Endoscopy Task Force, ASGE Technology Committee, Barham Abu Dayyeh, Nitin Kumar, Steven A Edmundowicz, Sreenivasa Jonnalagadda, Michael Larsen, Shelby Sullivan, Christopher C Thompson, Subash Banerjee. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. September 2015.
Endoscopic therapy for weight loss: Gastroplasty, duodenal sleeves, intragastric balloons, and aspiration
Nitin Kumar. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. July 2015.
Endoscopic Solutions for Weight Loss
Nitin Kumar, Christopher C Thompson. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology. September 2011.